Sunday, October 20, 2013

I am still looking for the Bold man that ‘ll marry me — Actress Ayo Amusa



Dayo Amusa is an actress. In this interview with DOYIN ADEOYE, she talks about her career, controversies and style, among other things.
How did your foray into acting really begin?
I started acting in 2002 when I joined the Wemimo Olu Paul Productions in Ibadan. He (Wemimo) was one of the biggest producers back then and I registered with him. But it wasn’t easy shuttling between Lagos and Ibadan, so I had to move back to Lagos, where I started going for auditions and all, before I became who I am today.

Continue after the break.

What was your first major role?
The first major role I played was in my first movie, Ajegbodo, in 2006. Before then, I had only featured in scenes and the closest I had got to a major lead role was in Funke Akindele’s production, Agbe fo and Iyabo Ojo’s movie, Omidan.

What inspires your movies?
My environment does. Also, my personal experience is a major inspiration for the stories that I pen down.

So far, which role has been the most challenging for you?
It’s the role I took in my movie, Unforgiveable. This is because I play more of violent roles, so dropping that for the role I played in Unforgiveable posed a little challenge. But because I had the zeal and believed I could do it, it wasn’t as difficult as I thought and people around me were really amazed at my interpretation of the role.

Despite not being out yet, the movie, Unforgiveable, is making waves already in the industry. How did you put it all together?
The issue of domestic violence is so rampant in the society, with stories about it coming up every now and then. That was what inspired the story line. It is a problem in the society, so that gave the story line an edge compared to others that I had written before. Also, the choice of cast was another factor that gave Unforgivable the edge as well, coupled with the fact that I put more into it in terms of technicalities, awareness and sort.

Just like your previous production, Dewunmi Iberu, you featured English-speaking actors in Unforgiveable. Does that mean you believe more in them?
The Yoruba sector of Nollywood is very fantastic and we have what it takes to compete with any other sector. Talking about good stories, actors and directors, we are very good at it and I believe we are all entertainers. But if I have a script and I believe it is a Hausa man that can portray the character well enough, then I’d go for him.

The major reason I decided to use that cast for Unforgiveable was because I needed something to draw people’s attention to the movie because of the message I wanted to pass across, and because I wanted a different thing from what I had produced in the past.

Do you intend to join the English sector of Nollywood soon?
I am not swerving, I am just an entertainer and I can work with anybody. If a Hausa producer calls me to play a role and I know that I can interpret it well, then I’ll feature in the movie. I was made in the Yoruba sector of Nollywood and I’m not ready to forget that; neither am I ready to leave my origin just because I feel another sector could be better off.

What’s the worst rumour you’ve ever heard about yourself?
I don’t get myself bothered when people write stories about me – especially those that I know are untrue. When you really do something and the press gets hold of it, you might feel guilty of it; but when journalists just cook up stories to fill their pages, I feel it’s better one overlooks it. It is not a problem to me and as far as I’m concerned, I care less. Also, I’ve come to realise that being a celebrity goes along with rumours.

The name Dayo Amusa many times has been on the lips of people; it’s either you’re dating this person or another, or you’re doing one thing or the other. What could be responsible for this?
If I’m in a relationship and it doesn’t work for me, I believe I have the right to opt out because I deserve to be happy. So, if I’m in a relationship and I’m not getting the happiness I desire, I can’t be crucified for walking out of it. After all, I’m not married to such person.

So, why is Dayo Amusa not yet married?
I’ll get married when I meet a man that is bold enough to date a woman like me. Women like us need special men that understand the way we need to be treated for us to settle down. If that man is not available yet, then I won’t jump into marriage because people feel I should have been married now.

Because I am not yet married doesn’t mean I won’t get married. Besides, marriage is not a do-or-die affair. Although it is honourable and it is a good thing to enjoy, if the right man is not there, I would rather remain single than find myself in a marriage that I will end up regretting.

How true is the rumour that you dated KWAM 1?
It’s only a rumour and it is not true.

Some ladies in the industry are known to bee mistresses for some society men. Unfortunately, they often date the same set of men. What’s your take on that?
Well, I don’t fall into that category, and for those that do it, I’m sure they have their reasons. I don’t think I can find myself in that situation and I have never been caught doing that. Also, some of this (rumour) might not be real, because people tend to believe that once a female celebrity gets close to a guy, then they are dating. For instance, the issue of KWAM 1 and I isn’t what people think. He is someone I respect a lot because he inspires me. So, people saying that female celebrities date men they are close to can be so annoying, especially when it’s not true.

People have the notion that Dayo Amusa is an ‘Area Girl’. Why is this so?
I guess it’s because of the roles I took when I started in the movie industry. I played more of violent roles and people judged my character based on this. But they are totally wrong.

Aside acting, what other endeavours are you into?
I’m into buying and selling, something I had started before I ventured into acting. I also run a crèche in Surulere.

What prompted the single you released recently?
The song, just like the movie, was an avenue to pass a message across to put a stop to domestic violence in our society. The same inspiration I had for the movie was the same I had for the song. So, it was not as if I just jumped into the music industry, but if I find myself there any time, I wouldn’t object.

When will the movie be out?
Unforgiveable will be premiered later in the month (October) at the Silverbird Cinemas in Lagos, and it will be in all cinemas nationwide next month before it will be later released on DVD.

Is there any role restriction?
I can’t go nude on set.

What do you do or do not do at anytime?
I can’t compromise being happy and I don’t inconvenience myself to make other people happy. So, I try as much as possible to be happy at all times.

How was growing up like for you?
I came from a very strict family where I was restricted from socializing. I wasn’t given the opportunity to really have friends. My siblings and I were often indoors, and that has influenced my attitude even till now. I still find it a little bit difficult to make friends, except the fact that I relate equally with my colleagues and friends. I’m more of a homely person. But all the same, my childhood was splendid. I had a lot to learn that has helped me a lot in life.

Who were your earliest influences?
It was Sandra Achum while I was growing up. Many people felt we looked alike and I tried to do whatever she did in the movie back then. But later, I saw myself admiring the likes of Tunde Kelani and Kunle Afolayan, especially with the way they handle their productions. I see them as mentors because of their professionalism.

What’s your fashion sense?
I am not really a fashionista. I prefer the jeans and T-shirt style. But because of the nature of my job, I have to go out of my way at times, because you don’t know the kind of gathering you might find yourself in when you leave your house.

How do you relax?
I stay at home, watch moves and read newspapers. I also love cooking; in fact, I’m a very good cook and I love African dishes.

What words do you have for your fans?
I love and appreciate them, especially for those that believe in me. I give kudos to them for standing by me. They are my strength. And for those that don’t believe in me, I hope they try and take a closer look at me and have a change of mind. 


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook