Sunday, February 9, 2014

I can act n**ude –Sylvya Oluchy



Background
My name is Sylvia Ezeokafor. I was born and raised in Abuja. I am from Anambra State. I am the youngest of six children. I studied Theatre Arts at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State.
Awards
Last year, I won the award for Best Rising Star at the Nollywood Movies Awards. I won the Best New Actress award at City People Choice Awards. Lately, I got the Most Promising Actress, Best of Nollywood Awards.
Continue after the break.
Journey into acting
As a child, my mother was my influence. I had a lot of stuffed toys because I had no friends. Whenever I returned from school, I would pack my toys together, play and talk to them. My mother always watched me, recognised the talent and encouraged me to study Theatre Arts. I was a pure science student and wanted to be like Einstein and Newton. After school, I moved to Lagos where I didn’t know anyone. There were times I got home very late at night and cried myself to sleep out of regrets. On the other hand, whenever I got good roles, I would be happy. My mother was my motivation but I lost her when I was 20. I didn’t want to let the dream die, so I ventured into acting.

Nollywood
I am who I am and I believe there is enough space in the sky for every star. I respect my senior colleagues and I watch their movies for inspiration.
Style
It is your personality. It is who you are and how you see yourself. My style is very Afro-centric. I am an African and I like my brown skin. I cannot bleach it and I try to portray it in one way or the other. I like to dress in African prints too.
Most expensive accessory
I have to be philosophical about it – my most expensive accessory is my heart. Why? Without it beating, I wouldn’t be alive now.
Beauty routine
I cannot do without mascara. This may be due to my big eyeballs. Even when I do not wear any make-up, I always wear mascara on my lashes. I eat fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water and exercise regularly.
Saddest moment
When I lost my mother.
Dislikes
I do not like people who wear pity as an adornment. Pity hasn’t done anybody any good. I also hate it when people borrow small stuffs from you and never return them. DVDs and novels are never returned when people borrow them.
Leisure
I love to see movies. I go out to swim or to the zoo to watch animals. I am an outdoor person and very adventurous. I like to be in touch with nature.
Nudity
I do not have a problem with nudity in movies. I am an actress. And my body is my tool. If I have to act nu*de in a movie, it will depend on how good the script is, how favourable it is to me as an actress, the kind of movie and most importantly, the director. He has to be a director I trust. He has to be someone who produces without demeaning my acts. Lupita Nyong’o was nu*de in the movie, ‘12 years as a slave,’ and she is an Oscar nominee now. It’s part of the job. Sex sells and it happens every minute in Hollywood. In Africa, we want to be Africans and non-Africans at the same time. It’s something we knew before we signed up as actors.
Advice to younger acts
Keep believing. Dare to dream. Einstein said, ‘I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.’ Thoughts become things and you should dream as big as you want. Do not be limited by your circumstances because you never know what tomorrow holds. Never give up on yourself because life is not easy all the time.
PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook