Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dearest Omo Oodua Readers: How do I inform my siblings our parents died of HIV?



We spent our youth with a loving mum and dad. Dad was so handsome and kindhearted, mum's hips didn't lie at all with her beauty. As a kid I knew dad was ladies man and he only sleeps at home once or twice a week.

Despite his extreme social life,he cared for his kids 100% although my mum didn't enjoy his company just how a partner should always enjoy her husband. To slice the story short, my father handed down in 2005 after experiencing kidney failure and HIV. Only my dad's younger brother and my mum who took care of him during the condition knew about his HIV status.

I bumped into knowing 3days after his death while I was checking his phone, he sent a note to the family doctor about his status but I never asked my mum and she never said too although I was 19years old. His death was a shocking one for several and sundry while he was the breadwinner of the household and even with people we didn't know; dad was so kind-hearted.

Mum died right after dad, less than 2 yrs as a result of complications from HIV. I suffered silently knowing alone that she was dying from HIV, it was shocking and painful because I thought she'd save money years before quitting,didn't know she won't last more than one year after dad. Now the issue is,its been 9years since dad handed down and mum 7years but I still don't know how to tell my siblings the truth.


They kind of believe their death wasn't natural because it was shortly after we buried our grandfather in the village that my father fell sick and died.

My younger brother, the last born and only boy still believes dad's death wasn't natural and doesn't wish to have anything related to dad's family. He was just 12years old when dad died and my immediate younger sister was just 16years. They are both fully grown adults now while I am married and blessed with two wonderful kids but please how do I inform them what killed our parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook