Monday, February 4, 2013

Funmi Adegbola: I switched to Law when I Got Tired of Working with Dead Bodies




Funmi Adegbola is the chief executive officer, Combined Training Solutions Ltd, a safety firm in UK. For the past five years her company has worked to ensure safety of workers and also propagate safety habits.
She speaks on level of risk management in Nigeria and the attitude of the informal sector, which accounts for about 60 per cent of Nigeria’s economy. She also speaks on the challenges of getting organizations buy into the life saving idea.

How did you come about starting up a safety firm?
I came for holiday in Nigeria a few years back and discovered that there is a gap to be filled here. The major setback unfortunately, is legislation and enforcement. I tried getting information on health and safety, I couldn’t find anything. So, I started inquiring into something called Nigeria Institute of Safety Professionals and I got in contact with them to see how I could help, because if I want to come back to Nigeria with my family some day, I want to make sure it is sane and safe. I also want to give back to the society because this is home for me.
I really wanted to find out what happens if a customer goes into a bank and slumps or have a stroke. Does the bank have first aiders to administer first aid on the victim?
That was even the barest minimum that I thought one should start from and I discovered there was nothing like that. I’ve been to so many banks and what I hear is nobody is checking for that, why should we comply? Some claim to have first aid boxes. And when I go further to enquire into what is contained in these so-called boxes, they list paracetamol as one of the content. That is even wrong.
You are not supposed to have paracetamol in a first aid box because you are not qualified to administer any drug because you are not a doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook