Sunday, February 3, 2013

I still have two more years with Eagles — Yobo



Now playing in his sixth Africa Cup of Nations and having starred in 91 games for Nigeria — the record appearance by a Nigerian player — Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo, looks ahead to the future, saying he has only two years to spend in the national team.
The Rivers-born defender has seen it all in the Eagles- injuries, criticisms, praises and rebuke- since making his debut in 2001 and moving on to become Nigeria’s most capped footballer ever.
“This is my sixth Nations Cup appearance and it’s a great achievement. I did not know that I would get this far in my career. I have had bad injuries and I thank God that I am out of it now,” the 32-year-old said.

“I feel like a 22-year-old player. If I stay out of injury in the next two years, I may still come to one more Nations Cup. But I am in South Africa for this competition so I have to concentrate on that for now.
“But I still have the the 2014 World Cup qualifiers to play and the World Cup is still there for me as well, so there are chances for me to add to my caps for Nigeria,” he states.
In all his years in the team, Yobo has not lifted a major trophy; a regret he says has become a burden to him.
“It’s disappointing that I have not won something yet but if I win something soon, I may take a look at it and make a decision.”
There are other personal regrets the Fenerbahce centre-back harbours aside not winning trophies with the Eagles.
“I have never had the time to stay with my family in 11 years. I miss the union and I long for it soon after all the period I have spent in football. I am a human being and I deserve to have them around me now. If I make it to the next World Cup, I may call it quits,” he added.
The former Everton player recalls the huge responsibility he has shouldered since becoming the Eagles captain, including the praises and rebuke he has endured from the public.
“It’s an enormous load being the captain of a team like the Super Eagles because Nigerians are always demanding. They expect a lot from us and as the leader, you must always live up to the responsibility. If you want to be a leader, criticisms should not bother you but strengthen you,” he said.
He has not experienced the feeling of being an African champion before but he surely knows how it feels for champions to be ousted early from a competition.
Nigeria were grouped alongside champions Zambia, Burkina Faso and Ethiopia in Group C.
The Eagles waited until the final group to qualify for the knock-out stage after a hard-earned 2-0 win over Ethiopia’s Walya Antelopes, while Zambia’s Chipolopolo crashed out after they were held 0-0 by group leaders Burkina Faso.
It was the second time a defending champion of the competition failed to advance from the group stage. The other time was at the 1982 edition in Libya when 1980 winners Nigeria crashed out in the group stage that ironically also had Ethiopia and Zambia.
“Zambia are out now but that is the prize you pay as champions. The draw against Ethiopia changed their history because they would have deservedly moved into the next round as champions, but things like this happen in football and it’s unfortunate that it is happening to them now. I don’t pray it happens to Nigeria,” he said.
Yobo’s influence in the team seems to have dwindled because he has started just one game and played the last few minutes of the Eagles’ victory over Ethiopia on Tuesday at the ongoing AFCON 2013 in South Africa.
As Nigeria prepare to meet the Elephants of Ivory Coast in a crunch quarter-final today in Rustenburg, the defender says a clash with the tournament’s favourites is an inviting fixture, adding that scaling the Ethiopian hurdle in the group stage was foundation for success.
“We have to celebrate the victory over Ethiopia because of the way we earned it,” he said.
“But we should not be carried away because the next game is a big one, in fact, it couldn’t have come at a better time for Nigeria. Ivory Coast are one of the biggest teams in Africa right now and you cannot ignore their quality. They have the best players in Africa now and when you look at their form, they offer you the strongest opposition.”
Acknowledging the strength of today’s opponents at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium, the former Olympique Marseille man says Nigeria will be a threat to the Elephants’ golden generation’s ambition to write their names in gold.
“The Elephants are a big threat to any team but we are also a threat to them as well. We can stop them to get the title they have dreamed of. They have been together for about eight years but they have not won the Nations Cup. They need it but we can stop them now.
“But if you don’t prepare well, you will be at the wrong end of it at the end. We are not scared of them but we have to respect them just as we deserve respect from them as well,” he stated.
While the defender is unsure of making the first team against the 2012 finalists, he draws inspiration from the belief that he does well against top teams.
“Throughout my football career and till date, I have always produced my best against the strong sides. Ivory Coast are strong so my best is coming again. I am fit now and expect to start the next match. I have spoken with the coach and he spoke his mind about fitness because it’s importance to the team. I play in a difficult position and it demands your best form,” he admits, and quickly concedes that he is not dreaming of ascending the hero’s status against the Elephants.
“But it’s not all about me alone, it’s about the whole team. The victory over Ethiopia, no matter how it came, will bring out the best from us when we meet Ivory Coast in the quarterfinals.  You cannot go all these way and play poorly in the next match,” he stated.
Looking back at the performance of Nigeria in South Africa, which is generally adjudged unimpressive, Yobo defends the squad, blaming luck for their one win in three games.
“We have always played well but it was just unfortunate that we could not claim victory in those games.”
He however praised Ethiopia, coming short of saying they deserved to beat Nigeria.
“When the goals did not come early against them, we knew we were playing a strong side so we kept calm and waited for our opportunities; thank God they came at the right time. We must give credit to the Ethiopians,” he says.
Punch Nigeria


No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook