Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christopher Katongo Wins BBC African Player Of The Year 2012






Zambia captain Christopher Katongo has won the 2012 BBC African Player of the Year Award following a period of online voting and text messaging from fans.  The 30-year-old  faced stiff opposition from the likes of Demba Ba, Didier Drogba, Younes Belhanda and Yaya Toure but won a little over 40% of the votes. He also becomes the first winner from southern Africa to win this award. Speaking to BBC immediately after the announcement, the Zambian legend was full of praise as he thanked those who recognised his hardwork and voted for him.

“This is a fantastic moment for me. I thank the people who voted for me. It is something I will never forget in my career.” He said.
He also thanked his teammates – both country and club for helping him achieve this coveted award on the continent.   “This means a lot for the young people and the young players who look up to me. I could not have achieved this without the support of my team-mates.” He said.
Katongo led his home country to win their first-ever African Cup of Nations tournament in Equatorial Guinea in February last year. He scored four goals in the competition including a successful penalty kick that won the Chipolopolos their trophy. He currently plays for Henan Construction FC in the Chinese Super League.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook