Monday, June 23, 2014

"I am single but searching" – Actor Sam Anyamele





Nollywood actor and producer, Sam Anyamele, talks about his life and career. Read except from his interview below..
Can you correct the first impression of you being a bad guy?
I like the impression that was created and it has made a lot of people careful around me. I have had real friends who have come off what they have seen on the television. I am best described by people. I am godly and quite domestic.
I am emotional too, and that is what people do not know about me. I am petty with how people react to situations. People think I am flamboyant but I am not. The roles I play sometimes have lots of extravagance but it has nothing to do with me.

Why are you still single?
I am emotional but it has made me unnecessarily stronger. Now, I am firm and my emotions can build at the right time.
Is that how you handle female fans?
I take them in my stride. I am not so extravagant and that cuts off ladies.
Can you talk about your background?
I am from Ukwa-East Local Government Area, Abia State. I was born into a family of six— three boys and three girls; and I am the first child. I was born on January 27. I am a Christian, single but searching. I was born and schooled in Lagos. I am running my second Master’s degree in business education at the University of Lagos. That will be my fifth degree when I graduate.
Why not theatre arts?
One of the degrees I have is in cultural administration from National Institute for Cultural Orientation, which is affiliated to Nasarawa State University. It opened me up to performing/performance arts. I got an admission for a post graduate diploma in theatre arts but I opted out because I had another offer for Master’s degree in educational management and planning. I wanted to do that to doctorate level and do some branch courses later.
If you love education so much, what fuelled your love for movies?
It started a long time ago in my church, Assemblies of God Church, Isolo, Lagos. I was involved in church drama and my talent was recognised. My actual entrance into arts was through music. I played musical instruments and it paid my bills for many years before I started acting.
When was your first movie appearance?
That was in 1998/1999. It dawned on me then that movies could be more interesting. My father believed that acting was truancy and I decided to embarrass him by going to school. I feel bad sometimes but I also encourage myself because where I am today, some people are hoping to be there.
Why did you leave music?
My entrance into music was basically from orchestra. I played musical instruments, directed choral groups and did some A cappella singing then. I was very young then but it was fulfilling. It also helped my growing up because I did not run into some nasty and naughty acts. I was a virgin until I left secondary school.
At what age did you lose your virginity?
I do not want to play back but it was after secondary school, and when I got into the labour market. The television also came up and in between that, I had to try a few things out and take things in my stride.
Didn’t girls run after you in secondary school?
I had some girls running after me in secondary school. There was a time I got a condom gift from a girl. I returned to school and asked my friends what I would do with it because I was that naïve.
Did you regret leaving music for the movies?
I am still round about music but the only part I miss is the worship in church. I have to do rehearsals to be able to sing in church on Sundays and I do not have all that time now. I have my guitars at home. It is still alive and I am trying to get my feet but very soon, I will organise a concert where I will play live. I played with the likes of Sammie Okposo, Mike Aremu, Kunle Ayo and Olufunmi at my early stage in life.
How do you handle competition with other popular actors?
It has been God. Early in life, I was into competition and was looking at who delivered the lines better. But when you do better, people know.
How do you manage to keep fit?
I started working out lately and started developing too much muscle. I reduced it a bit before I am asked to play the role of a bodyguard or bouncer in movies. I do some push-ups and press-ups sometimes but I am not on any diet. I take a lot of water, fruits and vegetables and a lot of air.
Why did you quit the production of the Next Movie Star?
I was the general manager of Digital Interactive Media; producers of the NMS. I was invited by virtue of my experience and I was the associate producer of NMS 2012. I wanted to deliver it because it was usually tough. I decided to break the jinx and immediately that was done, I took a bow. The feedbacks were one of the best experiences so far then. We also produced a few series in which I was a supervisor.
How did your family feel when you played romantic roles?My father is still strict. Concerning ‘Super Story’, my parents were just surprised to see me on screen because it came when I told them that I was going for youth camp meetings.
Do you think you are at the peak of your career?No, I have never thought like that. I am grateful to God for getting to the stage I got to at a very young age— I won the Best Upcoming Actor, Africa Movie Academy Awards in 2006. That was the first of that category. I am always thinking of the next thing to do. I do not get overwhelmed with the past. That is what stardom and experiences have taught me. I am always grateful for every award, nomination and accolades because it is a way of saying people are impressed with what you are doing.
Did you experience any discrimination?There were times people who were fair- complexioned got most of the roles and the dark-complexioned people were always left out. At a point too, they were discriminating between movie stars and television or soap stars. But an actor remains an actor. It is getting better now.
Can you act n**de?No. You have an option to select what you want. At the initial stages, it was usually difficult to select but I never found it difficult. I never did ‘waka-pass’ minor roles too, but it cost me so many movies too.
What influences your style?Style is what you are most comfortable with, whether people like it or not. But you have to be careful about how people view what you are comfortable with. I do not wear designer’s labels because of its status. It has to fit me. I also like to wear local couture but I wear jeans for me to move swiftly sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST

Please Like Us On facebook